Monday, November 24, 2008

Lucy

The other morning it was snowing gently. It was so pretty that I grabbed the camera and walked down to Lederer Park. I like it there and felt like I'd find something interesting to photograph if I kept my eyes open.

I ended up at the statue of Lucy Lederer. She's a spry old lady, legs planted about shoulder-width apart, no-nonsense bun at the base of her neck, right hand holding onto a cane placed resolutely in front of her like she's staking a claim on her little pedestal. She has a kind smile on her face, but I'm sure that she could raise hell on mean people and bluebird-stalking cats with that cane of hers.

Lucy must have loved green places. There's a small space between her fused bronze fingers and her little bronze thumb. I've never actually seen anyone slide a flower or branch or colored leaf into that space, but I almost never see Lucy without some kind of bouquet in her hand.

This day she was holding a branch of white pine. I bet she likes color, so I picked a berried sprig off a nearby rose bush and added it to the greenery.

No comments: